Emerita & Emeritus Fellow
Formerly Departmental Lecturer in Local and Social History, Oxford University Department for Continuing Education, Adrienne Rosen joined the Fellowship of Kellogg College in May 2004. She was a Departmental Lecturer in the Department for Continuing Education from 1996 until her retirement in 2013. During that time she was involved with the Department’s Local History programme at every level, from day schools, lecture series and weekly classes to the undergraduate Diploma and Advanced Diploma, the postgraduate MSc in English Local History and the part-time DPhil programme. From 2001-2013 she directed the pioneering Advanced Diploma in Local History via the Internet, which each year enrols students from all over Britain and beyond who study entirely online.
Adrienne’s academic interests lie in economic and social history with a particular focus on Oxfordshire. From 1997 to 2004 she was Honorary Editor of Oxoniensia, a journal dealing with the history, archaeology and architecture of the county and, since her retirement, she has been an active committee member of the Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society. She has a longstanding interest in the history of towns and founded the Chipping Norton Historical Research Group which continues to investigate the history of the town and its hinterland in north-west Oxfordshire. In 2017 she published (with Janice Cliffe) The Making of Chipping Norton: A Guide to its Buildings and History to 1750 (The History Press), based on a project funded by Historic England to investigate the surviving early buildings and their fabric.
At Kellogg, she particularly enjoyed serving as one of the Deans of Degrees from 2006 to 2015, presenting the College’s students in the Sheldonian Theatre at the beginning of their studies for Matriculation and at their successful completion for Graduation, and it was a great pleasure to be elected to an Emeritus Fellowship of the College on her retirement.