Medical Support

The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services. Some of these services are free and others have to be paid for. All students (and their dependents) who are studying in the UK for six months or more are entitled to register with the NHS. As a patient, the NHS is accessed through your General Practitioner (GP)/Family Doctor.

The College has an arrangement with the doctors at the 19 Beaumont Street Surgery to provide medical cover for our students. Do register as early as possible with the doctor so that you are prepared in case you become ill or need support. Registration is most easily completed online here.

You should also refer to the information on the University website.

A new immigration health charge for access to NHS treatment was introduced on 6 April 2015 as part of Tier 4 and other visa applications, including student dependents. The charge must be paid even if you have your own private medical insurance and do not intend to use the NHS.