Next Steps for Offer Holders

What is Matriculation?

Our students are engaged on “matriculated study”. This means that our students become full members of the University’s academic community through a Matriculation Ceremony. Attendance at a Ceremony soon after the start of study is mandatory for all students except in certain circumstances. The College’s Offer Letter will give details of the Ceremony you should attend or advise if you are subject to alternative arrangements.

The Matriculation Ceremony is a formal academic event so academic dress MUST be worn. Further information will be supplied when booking in with College for the Ceremony.

Following the Ceremony we invite students to join us for a celebratory lunch. If you are required to attend, the College will be in touch with you by email to arrange your matriculation in due course.

Do I have to attend a Matriculation Ceremony?

Yes, unless you have been advised otherwise in your College Offer Letter, you will be expected to attend a Matriculation Ceremony within two terms of the start of your programme of study. You will need to book to attend the Ceremony, booking details will be sent to you from the Academic Office.  It’s important that you book in good time to avoid disappointment, as there are restrictions on the number who can attend.

What if I cannot attend the Ceremony listed in my College Offer Letter?

Please email who will be able to advise on future ceremonies. It is important to note that you are expected to matriculate within two terms of starting and that the October Ceremony is the only weekend option. If you are unable to matriculate at this ceremony and start your programme in Michaelmas Term then the alternative ceremony you will be expected to attend will be on a weekday.

What do I do with the University Card Form?

Please return it as instructed on the form. Do not return this form to College. If you have not received a University Card Form but have met all your conditions you should contact your department for further information.

Can I pay my fees in instalments?

It is sometimes possible to arrange to pay your fees in instalments, you will need to email to discuss this, setting out your reasons for wishing to pay in instalments.

What is the NHS?

The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services. Some of these services are free and others have to be paid for.
Immigration Health Charge (effective from 6 April 2015)

An immigration health charge for access to NHS treatment was introduced on 6 April 2015 as part of Tier 4 and other visa applications, including student dependants. The charge must be paid even if you have your own private medical insurance and do not intend to use the NHS.

Students who already have a visa will be covered as normal for NHS treatment unless and until they need to make a further visa application.

Anyone applying for entry clearance of up to six months or less is exempt and will instead have to pay for any healthcare at the point of use. For that reason anyone coming to the UK on a Short-Term Student visa must ensure that they have sufficient private medical and travel insurance.

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) for EEA and Swiss Students

EEA (including EU) and Swiss students in the UK must have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) for the duration of their studies.  The European Health Insurance Card

(EHIC), obtainable for free from your country of residence, is the most straight forward way of satisfying the CSI requirement.  Further information is available from UKCISA on fulfilling the CSI requirement and also how this is important for any future application for permanent residence.